Dedoose is a web-based application for qualitative and mixed-methods research. It is designed to assist researchers in organizing, analyzing, and interpreting large amounts of qualitative and mixed-methods data. Dedoose provides tools for coding, categorizing, and exploring textual, audio, video, and image data.
Key features of Dedoose include:
- Data import: Dedoose allows users to import various data types, such as text documents, PDFs, audio files, video files, and images.
- Coding and tagging: Researchers can code and tag segments of data, helping them to identify themes, patterns, and relationships within the data.
- Collaboration: Dedoose supports collaborative work, allowing multiple researchers to work on the same project simultaneously. It includes features for team communication and shared access to project data.
- Visualization tools: The platform provides tools for visualizing data, including charts, graphs, and other visual representations that help researchers understand and communicate their findings.
- Mixed-methods analysis: Dedoose is particularly well-suited for mixed-methods research, which combines qualitative and quantitative data to understand a research question comprehensively.
- Security: Dedoose offers features to protect data security and maintain the confidentiality of research projects.
Dedoose is often used in academic research, social sciences, psychology, education, and other fields where qualitative and mixed-methods approaches are common. Researchers use it to conduct in-depth textual and multimedia data analyses, making it a valuable tool for those engaged in qualitative research projects.
List of recommended resources #
For a broad overview #
This chapter by Philip Adu in his book
A Step-by-Step Guide to Qualitative Data Coding focuses on demonstrating the use of Dedoose to analyze interview transcripts along with an introductory brief on the software.
This YouTube tutorial by Dedoose Support provides a brief overview of the data analysis software showing the users how to apply codes to text, access data visualization charts, and collaborate with team members for qualitative and mixed methods research.
For in depth understanding #
This book by Michelle Salmona, Eli Lieber and Dan Kaczynski provides users with a guided introduction to dealing with the methodological complexity of mixed methods and qualitative inquiry using Dedoose software.
Written by Christina Silver and Ann Lewins, this book provides an essential introduction to the practice and principles of Computer Assisted Qualitative Data Analysis (CAQDAS). Some of the major software programs discussed by Silver and Lewins include ATLAS.ti, DEDOOSE, HyperRESEARCH, MAXQDA, NVivo etc.
Case study #
This paper aims to explore pressing issues identified by nurses caring for older patients in US NICHE hospitals, regarding palliative care and end-of-life (EOL) decision-making. The qualitative data obtained were analyzed using Dedoose software.
This paper seeks to study multidisciplinary care practiced in community healthcare settings where the majority of patients receive lung cancer care in the US. The data collected were analyzed using Dedoose Software version 5.0.11, a web-based application for managing, analyzing, and presenting qualitative and mixed method research data