Developing an impact evaluation framework and conducting impact evaluation of PMKVY 2.0
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) is the flagship scheme of the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE), implemented by National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) under short term skill development training program. The main objective of PMKVY is to enable large number of youths to take up industry-relevant skill training and certification which will eventually enable them in sustainable livelihood options. Sambodhi has been assigned the task towards designing the impact assessment framework for programs under PMKVY, other short-term skill development training programs for NSDC and conducting the impact assessment for PMKVY. The objectives of the assignment are as listed below:
• To develop an impact evaluation framework and toolkit to facilitate future impact evaluation studies with a clear operational guide on methodology for evaluation, indicators to be evaluated, and choice of research tools, underlying Theory of Change and Logical Framework (log-frame) for PMKVY 1.0 and 2.0.
• To implement impact evaluation of the interventions – PMKVY 2.0 (Short-term Trainings and Recognition of Prior Learning), using the research tools and methodology identified during Phase 1.
In order to achieve the objectives of the study following activities are being undertaken by Sambodhi:
1. Literature review of existing studies on skill development and selecting the most suitable methodologies for evaluation of PMKVY through SWOT analysis of all adopted methodologies.
2. Developing a results chain and theory of change for the project through process mapping
3. Shortlisting of impact indicators to measure all output and outcome level indicators for the project
4. Developing a comprehensive monitoring and evaluation framework to standardize and operationalize future impact evaluation studies of PMKVY scheme.
5. Designing, validating and finalizing all data collection tools
6. Conducting evaluation of short term training programs and recognition of prior learning programs under PMKVY 2.0
7. Undertaking cost-benefit analysis to measure return on investment of the program